Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Eleanor Catton: All Great Stories Are Love Stories!

Catching Catton


Eleanor Catton looks stunning up close. The blonde hair and the blue eyes (well they looked blue to me)... I could probably gaze at her for a long time, and I am neither a man nor a lesbian! However, I had very little time to gaze at her as I spoke, because the PR people at the Jaipur Literature Fest had expressly stated--"No interviews with Catton." Case closed. 
Really?I don't think so. I was there to talk to her, and talk to her I would.
Eleanor stepped down from the stage as her session ended. I probably galloped like a horse to the front of the crowds, and hooked her interest with a question that made her think. Those precious 5 minutes with her led to this story: (Published In Financial Chronicle, January 22, 2015)

Star attraction at the Jaipur Literature Fest 2015, winner of 2014 Man Booker Prize Eleanor Catton wishes it were easier to portray the female perspective as ‘default’ and not ‘alternative’. At the sidelines of her session, she had an informal chat with Zehra Naqvi about her discovery through writing:

Me: Writing is a journey of discovery. What has been your greatest discovery so far?
Eleanor : My greatest discovery has been the realization of the importance of a love story. All great stories are, in the end, great love stories. That’s what I have learned.

Me: What kind of effort goes into creating a mammoth work of historical fiction like The Luminaries?
Eleanor: Reading is 90 per cent of a writer’s work. I read lots and lots about the gold rush period in New Zealand to find out about life in that age. Well, actually, all I wanted to do was write a murder mystery! But in the end, all novels always speak to the time in which they are written. A historical novel does not make a statement about the past. They are talking to the age they are in.

Me: You’ve talked about your desire to balance ornate structure with an active plot, as you have done perfectly in your book. How does one achieve that kind of balance?
Eleanor: It’s very important in a book for the form to match the content. As for this book, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to write such a book again! (Laughs)You can’t separate the two and look at it –you can’t separate what someone is saying from how they’re saying it. The two go together. Structure and form can’t be different.

Me: You’ve said the writing of your book changed you. In what way?
Eleanor: Each new book teaches you to write all over again. This one was so different from my first book. With each new work, you find a whole new way of writing.

Me: This is your first visit to India. How has the experience been so far? Would you think of writing a book set in India?
Eleanor: The experience has been delightful! But I’d have to live here for a long time to be able to write a book set here—take in the life, the people… everything…and there’s a lot to take in!

(From Jaipur Literature Fest 2015)


No comments: